Friday, October 15, 2010

Personal Reflection

Before viewing Food, Inc., I did not think much of where my food was coming from.  I mean, in our day and age, things come from all over the world, including food.  Honestly, before watching this movie, I would not expect my food to come from some local farm down the street.  It’s just not how our world works anymore.  However, I imagined that it would at least come from a farm, probably somewhere in the Midwest.  I pictured things being naturally grown, harvested, and sold, in a humane and healthy method.  Food, Inc. has shown me that the agricultural paradise that I had pictured in my mind what not even close to the reality of it all. 
            At first, my initial reaction the film was rather negative.  The filming of the inhumane treatment of many animals did not appeal to me at all.  However, I soon realized that I should not have a negative attitude towards the movie, but rather towards these industrial food companies who put profit before health.  The main feeling that I had throughout the film was, honestly, disgust – disgust towards these companies, their methods of food preparation, and the fact that they are allowed to continue like this.  I cannot begin to explain how strongly I feel about this.  If I knew that companies were doing this to my food, I would have taken a stand so much longer ago.  I greatly enjoyed the film – not so much the content of it, but rather the message it gave out.  I would recommend this film to everyone I know.  Everyone deserves to know a number of things concerning their food, including where it came from, how it was treated, and how the animal from which it came was treated.  This film provides the information necessary to make a change in the food industry.
            After viewing the film, I formed a personal perspective on the issue.  We are the consumers.  As the consumers, we should be the number priority of all of these industrial food companies.  I believe that it is ridiculous that food companies are putting profit ahead of health.  Something must be done about this, and the first step in making a change is simply being informed of the issue.  Food companies have been processing and treating our food behind closed doors.  I find this very frustrating.  It seems that the good of the industry has become more important than the people it serves.  I firmly believe that we need to take back this industry.  I mean, its purpose is to serve the consumer, yet these companies are putting the consumer’s well-being at risk.  I am also very suspicious of former industrial food company executives working in the federal government.  Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not accusing them of anything; however, I believe that in order for things to get accomplished in this area of our government, the people working for the government should not make decisions forma bias standpoint.  The individuals working in the FDA and USDA must represent us fairly and equally – without any influence from corporate food giants.
Yes, I understand that to feed such a tremendous amount of people efficient and quick methods must be adopted by food processing companies; however, these companies must do so in a health and environmentally conscious manner.  I will admit that the methods through which these industrial food giants are preparing food are quick, and “get the job done,” but the speed of food preparation is not the only thing companies should be concerned about.  Here is a question food companies should be asking themselves.  If the consumer saw what we were doing to their food before it reached the grocery store shelf, would they still purchase our product?  That is for us to decide individually.  It is up to us to make things right in this industry.  Do not buy from companies that abuse their animals and workers.  The least we can do to show these companies who is really in charge is to simply not buy their product.  That is our power as the consumer, and we have the right to choices – healthy, natural, wholesome choices.
From the information I gathered from watching Food, Inc., I am definitely going to change my diet.  Now, I am fourteen years old, and usually my parents cook my food; therefore, I cannot always choose what I am eating.  However, whenever I can, I will always choose the healthier option.  I will bring the option of organic food up to my parents.  To make a difference, I will research companies to find out of any wrongdoing on their part, and will not buy from them.  There is so much more I could do once I am older.  When I move out and begin to purchase my own food, I will buy organic.  For example, when I go out to eat, I will ask what exactly is on the food I am ordering.  From a political standpoint, I could communicate with my Senators and Representatives to find out what the United States government is doing about this food epidemic in our nation, and in our world. 
I’d like to expand a little on organic foods.  I’m all for them.  I would definitely spend the extra money for organic foods, and I hope my parents would, also.  You can’t put a price on your health, after all.  Organic foods are the exception to the norm in our world today.  They don’t have any preservatives, antibiotics, or pesticides.  It seems that all of our foods should be this way, yet, in our world, they aren’t.  Today our foods are chemically treated and prepared.  This is the reality of it all.  We’d like that all of our food is naturally grown on a little farm, from healthy, naturally-raised animals – it’s not.  We need to take this system back and restore it to normality.  This film has inspired me to want to make a change, and to encourage others to do so, also. 

1 comment:

  1. I think you have a lot of good ideas on things you can do. How about join us in helping out with our JC garden, too?

    ReplyDelete