Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Feb 18 Weekly

Setting: Ancient Greece, during the Peloponnesian War
The tension is thick between Athens and Sparta, the major military power of the time.  With Pericles as its leader, Athens dives into war with Sparta – a war that will forever change Athenians and their lives.

Scene I: In Sparta, Enter Lysander, Spartan Military Commander
Lysander: We must do something about those Athenians!  They are clearly on the rise, and its time a new power comes into rule.  Lesos, come at once!
Enter Lesos
Lesos: You called?
Lysander: Yes, I need someone to talk to about our situation with Athens.
Lesos: Ah, yes, I’ve heard.
Lysander: They have all the power!  The government, the society, practically everything!  We have the military power, so shouldn’t we be in control?   This is absolutely crazy.
Lesos: Now that you’ve said something, I suppose I agree!  Athens needs to be reminded that Sparta has the power!  I’ll tell the military!
Lysander: Excellent.  We’ll attack tomorrow.
They Exit

Scene 2: The next day, in Athen;, Enter Pericles, Adonis
Pericles: You know, Adonis, I don’t like to brag, but Athens is doing exceptionally well under my rule.  By the way, how is my Parthenon holding up?
Adonis: The Parthenon is as great as ever, but may I ask you a question, sir?
Pericles: Well, I suppose.
Adonis: Are you worried about Sparta?
Pericles: Adonis, right now, I only want to focus on the bettering of Athens, not about silly old Sparta.  Also, we must work to control the plague that is destroying our people.
Adonis: Ok, I hope we’re doing the right thing about both issues.  By the way, our newly constructed defensive wall is doing very well.  I say it’s our best project yet.
The Spartan army (who is right outside of Athens) begins to block the defensive wall off at one end
Screaming is heard from nearby citizens on and near the wall
Pericles: What is that noise!  Are citizens in trouble?  Let’s go!
Pericles and Adonis go down to the wall to see what the problem is.  There are citizens running around everywhere.
Adonis: What is going on here?
Citizen: I don’t know!  I think something’s blocking the other side of the wall off so we can’t get through!
Pericles: Something must be done!  If this keeps up, we’ll definitely run out of food in no time!  This means war!
Adonis: But how will we get to the Spartans?  They’ve blocked us in!  If we try to attack, they’ll kill us!  I know it’s probably not what you want to do, but we must peacefully approach them.  Maybe we can reach a compromise.
Pericles: I guess that’s the only thing we can do.  Sooner or later, our people will either starve or die from the plague.
Exit Pericles and Adonis

Scene 3: On the other side of the Athenian wall, with Lysander and Spartan army
Lysander: This will show the Athenians!  Eventually, they will be forced to surrender to us!
Lesos: What is your plan, sir?
Lysander: Once the Athenians are forced to surrender, well will give them two choices: To be destroyed by us or keep their democracy and destroy their naval force.
Lesos: Devious, but effective, I suppose.  How long will we have to wait for that?
Lysander: Well, it can’t be long until they run out of food and other supplies.  Plus, I’ve heard that the Athenians have been struck with a terrible plague.  If they don’t act quickly, they’ll all die in no time!
Lesos: Genius!  Pushing them to self-destruction will definitely show them that we have the power.
Lysander: Yes, and now we must wait for that moment.
Exit Lysander and Lesos

Scene 4: In Athens; Enter Pericles
Pericles: Adonis!  Adonis, where are you?!
Enter Adonis
Adonis: Yes, what is it?
Pericles: I feel terrible.  I have a horrible temperature and I’m very achy.  I believe the plague may be beginning to affect me.
Adonis: We need to get you taken care of immediately!  I’ll tell the others.  We can’t afford losing you as a leader.
Pericles: I’m getting very weak.  Get me help.

Scene 5: Days later; Outside Athens on the Athenian wall; Enter Lysander, Lesos, Pericles, Adonis
Lysander: Listen up.  We’re going to give you two choices.  Either surrender to us and let us destroy you, or give up your naval force and keep your democracy.
Pericles: For the good of my people, I will destroy the Athenian navy.  I am too weak to fight you.
Adonis: Sir, are you sure about this?  The Athenian navy is the best of its kind!
Pericles: It’s what needs to be done.  Sparta is too powerful, and they caught us at a weak time.
Lysander: Excellent.  We’ll retreat soon.
Lesos: After all this work we’ve done, you’re just going to back out like this?
Lysander: Don’t you remember?  I told you in the beginning of all this that I just wanted Athens to understand that they were no longer the main power of the area.  I have accomplished exactly this.
All Exit

Scene 6: Athens; Enter Pericles and Adonis
Pericles: Adonis, I think it’s my time to go.
Adonis: You mean … you’re dying?
Pericles: Yes, but at least I am dying knowing that the Athenian democracy and its values still stand despite a war with Sparta.
Adonis: You were a great leader of this country, sir.
Pericles: Thank … I … can’t … good … bye.
Adonis: Pericles? Pericles?! Help! Anyone! Pericles has died!

Upon the defeat of Athens and the death of Pericles, Athens never returned to be the great power it once had been; however, Athenian democracy did not collapse under Spartan pressure.







1 comment: