Friday, March 25, 2011

Mar 21 Daily

I am torn with this question.  Of course, I do not think that killing another human being because you do not like them or approve of them is okay; however, I do believe that Caesar’s killers were right in their interest to take him out of power.  Maybe his killers had some personal issues with him or something of that nature, but I would have wanted Caesar out of power for some other reasons.  First, I believe Rome was better off as a republic, rather than a dictatorship.  This being said, however, Rome’s becoming a dictatorship ultimately lead to the establishment of the new form of government that would develop into the Roman Empire.  Caesar had virtual absolute power.  He had worked his way into the Republic in such a way that the majority of the Senate would always be on his side (he did this by putting his own people in the legislature), ultimately allowing Caesar to do anything he wished.  In my opinion, this is not how I believe government systems should operate.  Now, I do agree with the killers’ reasons for wanting to rid Rome of Caesar; however, I do not think they should have done it if it was for more personal reasons.  If they killed Caesar because they did not like him or did not like his political views, they should not have killed him.  For the most part, I agree with the reasons why the killers did what they did, but not with the action itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment